Skip to main
jemena logo


What is deemed to be an Alteration? This would be any form of change to either your electricity supply or metering arrangement to your property that does not result in all assets being permanently removed or the power entering your property from a new location.  

Some examples of this might be: 

  • Relocating your overhead supply to an underground pit (when the pit is connected to that same pole) 
  • Temporarily isolating power to your property 
  • Upgrade or downgrade the supply phases to your property (such as 1 phase to 3 phase) 
  • Upgrade or downgrade your metering requirements (such as basic to CT metering) 
  • Consolidation multiple meters under one NMI 
  • Moving your meter to a new position 
  • Relocating electrical installations within your property (with no change to the current capacity) 

When to do a New Connection vs Alteration

Depending on the works requiring to be performed, a New Connection (with an Abolishment of existing assets) may be required, otherwise a simple Alteration request is required. 

The way to determine what to choose is based on the "point of supply" entering the property. If after the works there is no change in this point of supply, an Alteration order is sufficient. If the point of supply changes, then a New Connection will be required.

In the below example the point of supply entering the property is coming from pole A, changing the point of supply to Pole B will require a New Connection. 



Alteration Works, such as moving meters to a new meter board location can be done by Alteration orders, if the point of supply remains the same.  



Installation of pits, if the pit is connected to the original pole, the point of supply is the same. If the pit is connected to a different pole, a New Connection would be required.